Georgia Motorcycle Accidents and Speeding
Georgia is a beautiful state with diverse landscapes, and its warm weather and scenic routes make it a popular destination for motorcyclists. Unfortunately, with the increase in motorcycle riders on the road, the number of accidents has also increased. Speeding is one of the most common causes of motorcycle accidents in Georgia, and it is important for riders to understand the risks and take steps to stay safe.
According to the Georgia Governor’s Office of Highway Safety, there were 146 motorcycle fatalities in the state in 2020, a 25% increase from the previous year. Of these fatalities, speeding was a contributing factor in a significant number of cases. In fact, speeding was cited as a factor in 40% of all motorcycle accidents in Georgia in 2020.
Speeding can be particularly dangerous for motorcyclists because of their vulnerability on the road. Motorcycles lack the protection of a car’s frame, making riders more likely to sustain serious injuries or death in the event of a crash. Additionally, motorcycles are smaller and can be harder to see, making it more difficult for other drivers to anticipate their movements.
So, what can riders do to stay safe and avoid motorcycle accidents caused by speeding? Here are some tips:
- Follow the speed limit: This may seem obvious, but it is important to remember that speed limits are in place for a reason. They are designed to keep drivers and riders safe. Obeying the speed limit can also help you avoid a ticket, which can be costly and affect your driving record.
- Stay alert: Pay attention to your surroundings and anticipate potential hazards. This means keeping a safe following distance from other vehicles, watching for changing road conditions and being aware of other drivers who may not see you.
- Wear appropriate gear: Always wear a helmet and other protective gear, such as gloves, boots, and a jacket. This can help reduce the severity of injuries in the event of an accident.
- Take a safety course: Consider taking a motorcycle safety course to improve your skills and knowledge of safe riding practices.
- Avoid riding under the influence: Alcohol and drugs can impair your ability to react to changing road conditions, increasing the risk of an accident.
It is also important for riders to understand the legal consequences of speeding. In Georgia, the penalties for speeding vary depending on the severity of the offense. For example, if a rider is caught exceeding the posted speed limit by less than 15 miles per hour, they may be subject to a fine and points on their driving record. However, if the rider is caught going more than 25 miles per hour over the speed limit, they may face more severe penalties, including license suspension or revocation.
It is also worth noting that riders who are involved in motorcycle accidents caused by speeding may be held liable for any damages or injuries that result. This means that they could be responsible for paying for medical bills, property damage, and other expenses related to the accident. It is important to carry adequate insurance coverage to protect against these potential costs.
Speeding is a dangerous behavior that can have serious consequences for motorcycle riders. By following the tips outlined above and staying within the posted speed limit, riders can help reduce the risk of accidents and stay safe on the road. Remember, safety should always be the top priority when riding a motorcycle, and by being a responsible rider, you can help prevent accidents and protect yourself and others.
Princenthal, May & Wilson, LLC is a law firm that specializes in personal injury cases, including those related to motorcycle accidents and speeding. If you have been involved in a motorcycle accident caused by another driver’s speeding, our experienced attorneys can help you pursue compensation for your injuries and damages.
Our team will work closely with you to understand the specifics of your case and determine the best course of action. This may include negotiating with insurance companies on your behalf, conducting an investigation to gather evidence, and representing you in court if necessary.
We understand that motorcycle accidents can be traumatic and overwhelming, which is why we are committed to providing compassionate and personalized legal representation. Our goal is to help you get the compensation you deserve so that you can focus on your recovery and moving forward.
If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident caused by speeding in Georgia, don’t hesitate to contact Princenthal, May & Wilson, LLC for a free consultation. We are here to help you navigate the legal process and get the justice you deserve.